Thursday, August 23, 2007

Weekly iTunes "Single of the Week" Review


Welcome, readers! It's time for the iTunes Single of the Week Review.

This week's "Single of the Week:" Songs for the Fields by the Fields.

[iTunes writers' words follow . . .]
We get a lot of music coming through these parts, but the Fields struck a chord with us that we wouldn't mind being struck more often. "Song for the Fields" is a traditional folks tune as it might have been if the Flaming Lips and My Bloody Valentine took the place of Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger. Boy/girl harmonies that coo and curl around each other and moody, frantic acoustic guitars culminate in an expansive full-band, swooning blow-out at the end. Very nice and very free.
My review:

Ugh. It's difficult for me trash a band that clearly has talent but fails miserably to manifest it into a song. The iTunes writers were sort of on the right track. It's folky, and I suppose one can take a leap to compare them to the Flaming Lips, but it's stretch. Frankly, the song bores me. Nothing makes me sit up and pay attention.

Rating from one to five stars: **

iTunes Library Result:
DELETED

No comments: