Tuesday, August 14, 2007

1961 Red Sox Baseball

My mom died a few months ago. Recently I was sorting through a mountain of "stuff" in her office, and came across a baseball. It was wrapped in a very worn plastic bag. The ball is old, yellowed, and has a small blemish (pine tar?) on one of the faces.

Oh yeah, and it's signed by most of the 1961 Boston Red Sox. Including Yaz. For those of you who are not Sox fans, 1961 was his rookie year. It'll take somebody with better handwriting interpretation skills to be certain, but I can easily recognize some of the other signatures: Chuck Schilling, Dick Radatz, Frank Malzone, and Galen Cisco among others.

The strangest part of this story is that nobody in my family (aunts, cousins) have any idea how, when or where my mom got this nifty piece of Red Sox history.

No comments: