Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Future Recording Artist

Perhaps it's a father's rose colored glasses, but this is one of the cutest things I've ever heard. At home last night I was at my desk, using my computer, when my 4-year-old daughter Nicole climbed into my lap. She likes seeing herself on my screen via the iSight camera, especially with the iGlasses visual settings to "Crazy Colors."

I asked her to make up a song on the spot. It was amazing. I expected far less. Here's what she produced.

Immediately I was struck by three things.

First, she has clearly absorbed some of my omnipresent blues music. This is evidenced her repetition not only of the words "down, down," but also by repeating the hook twice. A blues formula indeed.

Secondly, she puts a little trembelo into her voice. Who the hell taught her that? Certainly not me, shatterer of glass and recipient of angrily thrown beer bottles during a drunken karaoke session.

Lastly, she formulated a song that tells a story . . . right off the top of her little blonde head.

Mark my words. In 12 years you'll be seeing her on American Idol in 2018.

No comments: