Thursday, November 6, 2008

I've Failed as a Father

I've had an especially crappy day, but as regular readers of my blog know, I'm not one of the brave ones whom discuss such things publicly. However, I feel the need to tell you that I've been proven to be a failure as a father.

How could this have happened? What circuit in my parental mind didn't carry the current? Will I ever be forgiven for the transgression, the lapse in my duty as a dad?

I prepared a yummy dinner for me and my son, put it in the oven, and then went back to my home office while the main course cooked before it was time to start the side dishes. Me being me, I clicked open the iTunes library and cranked up the music. Inspired by a recently created eclectic mix CD which I'd made for a friend, I felt the need for R.L. Burnside.

With "Rollin' Tumblin' (remix)" playing loudly, I sauntered back into the kitchen and asked my son rhetorically, "Ain't Burnside awesome?" He might as well have unexpectedly slapped me across the face with all his might, as my reaction was the same when he asked "who's Burnside?"

*sigh*

Oh, the shame. The weighty, horrible, guilty shame. I've always prided myself on being a good father. How could this kid, who truly appreciates everything from Bach to Booker T & the MGs to Beck to Bush to Billie Holiday to Branford to Blind Melons to Bad Religion to Blues Traveller to Bo Diddley to Bobby Bland to Bela Fleck to Bebel to Billy Idol to Boston to B.B. King not know Burnside?

I begged his forgiveness, and we listened to Burnside loudly -- really loudly -- as we ate.

Perhaps one day he will absolve me from my sin.

No comments: