Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I'm so deaf that it doesn't matter . . .

Every day I play drums when most people take their lunch break. Let's not get heady about this, I fully admit that I suck.

I've only played in front of an audience once, and, um, it wasn't great. I kept the beat very well with the bass drum (the "prime directive" of all drummers), but missed horribly just about every riff and cymbal highlight on the song I played. For the life of me, I can't remember what song it was. I'm pretty sure it was a Stone Temple Pilots or Pearl Jam song, since it was in the early '90's when I used to hang around with an employee and friend of mine that was in a band that frequented the haunts in and around Frederick MD.

I play the drum set with my iPod Nano earbuds implanted as deeply as they'll go, and crank up the volume to the maximum setting. I'm losing the ability to hear the songs as I play along. I'm deaf, getting more deaf, and it's disturbing.

My kids and wife laugh and joke about my inability to hear things. That's cool. I understand the humor about it. I can hear high pitch tones (like, thankfully, a fire alarm or that very unique squeal made by a moisture-laden log in a fire place), but not conversational discussion.

But losing my hearing is very upsetting.

Getting back to the point of this blog after a wild tangent, I've been trying to master Joey Kramer's drum part on "Falling in Love" by Aerosmith.

It's a real challenge not only because I suck, but I can't hear the song even with my iPod at maximum volume.

No comments: