Thursday, October 16, 2008

Val's New Flag


I've never claimed to be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. Proof of my dim-witted mind is evidenced by the fact that when I purchased a flag to replace the thin and slightly tattered nylon one which used to fly behind Val on Patriot Guard Rider missions, I didn't check the specifications carefully. Val now flies a cotton flag.

Without going into great details, I was forced to subject the aircraft aluminum mast to a trial by fire yesterday. When the hundreds upon of hundred bikes rolled through the streets of Rocky Hill Connecticut, I had one of those "oh no ... this can't be happening" moments of panic. The pack turned off the side roads and headed out onto the highway for the ride to East Hartford.

I'm shocked happy to report that Val's mast can survive holding aloft the heavy 4 x 6 flag while traveling at 60+ miles per hour. For the record, it is both extremely difficult and unsafe to ride a motorcycle in formation and at that speed while continually looking behind you at the flag on your bike. Not for the faint of heart.

If you're in the New England region, I highly recommend that you visit the traveling Vietnam Memorial Wall. It'll be on display until October 19th. For more information, go here. For a short video about the ride in which I participated yesterday, click here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you ever participated in the Brightside ride?? http://www.brightsidecares.com/Brightside%20Toy%20Run.html check that out, if tyler can get his bike fixed for next year, we're going to do it :)

Annie said...

You riding 90mph + a HUGE gust of wind + a highway full of other bikers? = Makings of a perfect episode of Myth Busters or a very bad bloody episode of Grey's Anatomy.